Orthopedic surgeons are highly trained physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions, diseases, and injuries. They offer not only surgical solutions, but also a wide range of nonoperative therapies which improve movement, relieve pain, and help people regain and maintain quality of life and independence. Here’s more about what our orthopedic doctors do for patients of all ages.
Orthopedic Doctors Evaluate and Diagnose Musculoskeletal Problems
Pain and limited ability to move are life-changing issues. Fortunately, orthopedic surgeons possess in-depth knowledge of musculoskeletal function and structure. Whether you have a bone, muscle, connective tissue, or joint problem, these doctors can get to the underlying reasons for your pain and treat them.
When you visit an orthopedic surgeon, you’ll be evaluated with a full physical examination and discuss your medical history and symptoms. The doctor will order specialized imaging tests such as digital X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans as needed. Sometimes, nerve conduction tests and other assessments may reveal findings important for making a precise diagnosis.
What areas of the body do orthopedic specialists concentrate on? Many surgeons subspecialize in one area, such as knee and hip replacement surgery. However, in general, orthopedic surgeons can treat all areas of the musculoskeletal system, including:
- The spine, including the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine
- The shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand
- The hip and knee
- The foot and ankle
Orthopedic Surgeons Treat and Prevent Musculoskeletal Problems
With this information, the surgeon can devise a treatment plan to:
- Manage or eliminate pain
- Improve mobility, flexibility, strength, range of motion, and more
- Prevent future injury
- Improve lifestyle habits
- Fine-tune exercise routines
- Remove spinal tumors
- Correct and support deformities, such as scoliosis, club foot, and more
Plus, many orthopedic doctors offer workers’ compensation evaluations and treatment plans and sports medicine services for torn rotator cuffs, iliotibial band syndrome, tendonitis, and more. Healthy return-to-work or return-to-play evaluations, along with injury prevention, are well within the orthopedist’s area of expertise.
Orthopedic Surgeons Deliver a Wide Range of Services
Depending on your unique bone and joint needs, here’s what services to expect from an orthopedic surgeon:
- Total and partial joint replacement surgeries
- Spine surgeries, such as spinal fusion and discectomy
- Arthroscopic (small incision) repair of soft tissue injuries and conditions
- Arthritis and osteoporosis care and management
- Prescription medications for pain
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation after surgery or for treatment of ongoing conditions
- Fracture, sprain, and strain care, along with care for other traumatic injuries
- Management of overuse injuries, such as golfer’s elbow, plantar fasciitis in the foot, and carpal tunnel syndrome in the wrist
- Use of innovative therapies, such as viscosupplementation, to increase joint fluid and mobility
How Can I Find an Orthopedic Surgeon?
If you live in the Dover, NJ, area, we recommend you come to Orthopedic Associates of West Jersey. We have a team of three experienced and board-certified orthopedic surgeons who work hard to restore their patients’ musculoskeletal health and movement.
Please call us today to arrange an individualized consultation with Dr. Spielman, Dr. Bouillon, or Dr. Stecker. You can also arrange a visit by completing our online appointment request form. We look forward to caring for you!